Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dead on Arrival - ??

domingo 11 de enero 2009
21:06 GST

Still muggy from the Ambien...I didn't sleep long enough for it wear off completely....I made it swiftly through customs. Upon exiting I tried to soberly recall what my Buenos Aires guidebook instructed me to do...and did the opposite (damn ambien). Instead of going to the Bank right outside of the exit I went to a currency exchange booth inside where they ripped me off and gave me got a lousy rate (I found out later they exchanged my money at $2.9 to the dollar when in actuality its $3.4!!) Secondly, my guide says to take a taxi oficiale as they are safe and cheap...but I head to a booth that says "taxi" on it, and of course it turns out to be a towncar which I also overpaid. argh.


My apartment is in a barrio aka neighborhood called Once (own-say..the # 11 in spanish), which is pretty close to downtown. Cool building, marble hallways, antique elevator..Settled in my room and was given a nice glass of ice tea and honey then passed out.
Around 5 pm the women I was staying with, Mirka, and I walked around the neighborhood, hopped on the B train and headed to the last stop N.Alem where I'll be getting off for school the next morning. Walked up Av.Eduardo Madero along the Port and ended up at my school's building. On our walk back we went along Av.Cordoba to the Galerias Mall and then all along Calle Florida (which is way too crazy, like Canal street in NY...a bunch of tourists trying to score cheap shit that is way overpriced and then getting their thousand dollar cameras stolen out of their backpacks)...we walked until the lady got too tired and jumped on the train back to Once, I decided to keep walking around, jumped into a shop and bought flip flops for like 8 bucks cause the shoes I was wearing had already ripped my skin off making every step insanely unbearable.

Kept walking until I reached this triangle of streets where they were filming some sort of movie and using leaf blowers to send a million little paper hearts in the air...Walked up to the famous Obelisco, jumped on the train there, headed home, got lost when I got out of the subway, found home...ate yummy pasta....passed out early.

No comments:

Post a Comment